KNOW YOUR UNIX SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR-- A FIELD GUIDE
There are four major species of Unix sysad :
How to identify your system administrator ?
- The TECHNICAL THUG
- Usually a systems programmer who has been forced into system administration;
writes scripts in a polyglot of the Bourne shell, sed, C, awk, perl, and APL.
- The ADMINISTRATIVE FASCIST
- Usually a retentive drone (or rarely, a harridan ex-secretary) who has been
forced into system administration.
- The MANIAC
- Usually an aging cracker who discovered that neither the Mossad nor Cuba are
willing to pay a living wage for computer espionage. Fell into system
administration; occasionally approaches major competitors with indesp schemes.
- The IDIOT
- Usually a cretin, morpohodite, or old COBOL programmer selected to be the system
administrator by a committee of cretins, morphodites, and old COBOL programmers.